Support a young person to create community change! Youth Frontiers is a mentoring program for 12-16 year old children, focusing on positive relationship development, leadership and community engagement. We are seeking volunteer mentors to support young people across the Northern Rivers. This project would suit volunteers or students enrolled in Community Engagement Project COM30001 and Introduction to Social Welfare SOY10105.
Time required: 2 hours per week
Duration: 21 weeks
Requires face to face contact: Yes
• To enhance participants' self-esteem, confidence and communication skills through mentoring.
• Increase young people's connection and participation in their community.
• Recognise the contribution young people make to their communities.
• Support volunteers to enhance their skills in order to provide quality mentoring.
• The successful collaboration of mentor and mentee partnerships resulting in the completion of a community-oriented project.
• Increased self-confidence and life skills of young people due to the support of their volunteer mentor.
• Enhanced capacity of volunteers to provide quality mentoring to young people and to volunteer in their communities.
• Increased community connection for young people and volunteer mentors.
• Community connection - engaging individuals who might otherwise not have the opportunity to share experiences with one another
• Encouragement of young people to participate in their community and understand that their role in the broader community is valued
• Enhancement of self-confidence and life skills of young people
• Increased skills regarding engaging with others including young people
• Opportunity to share their knowledge and experience with young people
• Opportunity to utilise their education and training to support and inspire young people
• Training and support to enhance the capacity of mentors is provided
Mentors do not require previous experience – just the desire to support young people to reach their potential, and an ability to commit to volunteering 1-2 hrs each week, over a 6 month period. Mentor training, coordination and ongoing support provided.
Coordination, facilitation and provision of resources to ensure the delivery of Youth Frontiers.