Are you looking for an opportunity to work with young people and develop you educational skills while creating change? Spark Plugs Innovation Club offers volunteers a great opportunity to work with children aged 7-14 years to help them build STEAMED (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math, Entrepreneurship and Design) skills. This project is suitable for volunteering, students studying Education and students enrolled in COM30001 or SOY10114.
Working on this project you will make a difference in Key Impact Area: Education; Sustainable Development Goal: Quality Education (SDG 4).
Time required: 2 hours per week
Duration: 10 weeks
Requires face to face contact: Yes
Spark Plugs Innovation Club is a for-profit social enterprise that builds children’s self-esteem and resilience, through the provision of an interactive program built on STEAMED skills (science, technology, engineering, art, mathematics, entrepreneurship and design). We've created a safe space where children can project their ideas, work as a team, play, problem-solve, and most of all, have fun learning.
The after school clubhouse requires additional facilitator support. There will be 20 children participating in the term 1 2020 program.
If the successful volunteer is a great cultural fit with the company, there is potential for additional hours and pay as the company expands across the Northern Rivers Region.
Learning the fundamentals of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths is essential for children's success, but it is how children use these fundamentals together that matters most. Being able to apply concepts creatively makes learning deeper. When children actively link their curiosity to a concept and are encouraged to unpack it creatively, they make positive connections with learning.
• You will gain invaluable skills to assist you in using STEAMED skills in your future classroom or workplace.
• You will develop skills in childhood development, behaviour management and differentiation of lesson content.
• Volunteers must be organised, reliable, able to follow instructions, work as part of a team and have some knowledge of children's development.
• This position would be perfect for a pre-service teacher studying primary education.
• This position would be perfect for someone with an interest in design thinking, creativity, thinking outside the box and STEM.
All volunteers must have a valid Working With Children's Check.
All volunteers must have their own transport and be willing to travel across the Northern Rivers Region to each clubhouse.
Assistance in promoting the positions within the School of Education.
All training will be provided.
Travel expenses will be covered by Spark Plugs Innovation Club.
This volunteer opportunity has the potential to turn into a paid position with the growth of the company.