Positive Change for Marine Life (PCFML) are looking for 2 x Campaign Coordinators in beautiful Byron Bay. As a volunteer working in the role, you will be responsible for working closely other team members to oversee our local campaigns across the Byron Shire. Suitable for students looking for volunteering opportunities that truly make a difference.
Time required: 9 hours per week
Duration: 6 weeks
Requires face to face contact: No
● Managing PCFML’s Honour the Ocean beach surveys, River Warriors marine debris monitoring and reporting program, Don’t Be A Sucker single-use free initiative, Butt Free Beaches & Parks project and Activ8 for the Ocean education programs
● Contributing to our long-term strategies for our northern NSW campaigns
● Researching, meeting and collaborating with other organisations with a similar focus in the region
● Forming and maintaining relationships with our partner groups, council, other non-profit organisations and businesses to assist in achieving campaign objectives;
● Recruiting general volunteers for all of our Byron Shire-based campaigns
● Public presentations
● Input into media releases, social media and blog posts (in collaboration with our Engagement team) to attract public awareness through local and national media on a regular basis and at times when local projects have newsworthy progress
● An ability to attract, recruit & organise volunteers, as well as the organisation’s objectives and achievements to the broader public through regular local advertisements, outreach and online advertising
● Being available for comment on the organisation’s aims, objectives and progress in local newspapers, on TV and radio
● Helping to run, market and/or organise PCFML events in northern NSW alongside our Byron Bay Events Coordinator
● Providing feedback to the CEO on a monthly basis
The successful applicants will also be responsible for implementation of the local team strategy (reporting to the PCFML CEO), media interviews and releases (in collaboration with our Engagement team) and will be PCFML’s main point of contact in the Byron Shire.
This project addresses environmental and marine science issues with a focus on community organising.
The successful applicants will be able to implement their own ideas and flair within the organisation.
We need two volunteers who are keen on overseeing the Byron Shire, have a passion for the marine environment and who are ready to have their ideas flourish in our organisation and in our projects. A background in the environmental/marine sciences and/or campaigning/community organising or experience in a related field is desirable. The ideal candidates will possess the following skills:
● Be self-motivated and self-reliant with a strong work ethic
● Possess an ability to articulate marine conservation issues in a story telling manner:
o Relate issues to real people
o Know target audience
o Ability to articulate conservation efforts to community, businesses, government and media
● Be personable, outgoing, friendly and respectful;
● Possess an ability to articulate sustainable alternatives to harmful marine practices (vision)
● Network, build relationships and represent PCFML in a professional manner
● Have a strong passion for marine conservation;
● Be a good ‘team player’ that understands group dynamics and can attract volunteers and supporters to the Byron PCFML team
● Bring flair and innovation to PCFML and build the organisation’s supporter base within the region
Our organisation will provide training and assistance to help the successful applicants with their responsibilities.