Springbrook is a vibrant small community in the Hinterland of the Gold Coast, full of passionate people. We are a semi isolated community without the ability to draw from a wide range of skills and resources like other suburbs can. We are hoping to survey the opinions, attitudes and feelings of the residents and landholders of Springbrook regarding infrastructure decisions and potentially divisive and contested future proposals. This would be suitable for students interested in volunteering opportunities or looking to undertake a research project in Session 3.
Time required: Not yet defined
Duration: Not yet defined
Requires face to face contact: Yes
To have a credible, neutral body conduct a professional survey of as many residents and landholders as possible to see what the prevailing opinions of the locals in regards to a variety of issues really are, rather than relying on a smaller group within of the broader community to drive future projects and ideas.
A hard copy of the results of the survey as well as an online version for residents to look at for themselves. Any other standard survey outcomes.
This project would allow all residents to be equally represented in an anonymous way so they don't risk being put at odds with other parts of the community who may have differing opinions. Potential risk and constraints include:
- Long distances between houses if face-to-face surveys are conducted
- Lack of local ability to create online survey
- Driving to Springbrook for students
- Unfamiliar roads for visitors
- Students need to be in pairs on the mountain for safety
- Many mobile phone plans and internet don't work up here (Telstra has the best coverage)
Opportunity to conduct an end-to-end survey project and have full responsibility for a published document that the community can present to various Government departments regarding infrastructure decision that need to be made. Full credits to the completed survey outcomes and subsequent publications. Skills needed include:
- Strong interpersonal/ communication skills
- Ability to canvas a wide range of opinions within survey design
- Capacity to manage and analyse data
People and resources to create, conduct and prepare the results from a survey able to be presented both online and as a physical hard copy for Springbrook residents and the relevant Government Depts.
- Background knowledge of local context/ social history
- Results from previous surveys - 4 or 5 over two decades
- List of proposed projects to be assessed within survey
- Address list of locals and landholders
- Access to council to post survey out if hard copies are to be used in conjunction with online and face-to-face responses